Year of establishment : 1959
Location : 2nd Floor, Banikanta Kakati Bhawan
Phone & Fax : 0361-2541459
E mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
History : The Department of Geography was established in the year 1959. On 19th August, 1959, the department was started with ‘Commercial Geography’ as one of the subjects of Pre-University (PU) Course. Prof. Tirtha Nath Borkataky was the founder Head and the lone faculty in the department till the opening of the degree course. This department was upgraded to a Degree Department in the year 1961 and in 1962, Honours (now Major) Course was started. The subject was taught in both Arts & Science streams. From the session 1984-85, PG Course was started under Gauhati University. The Laboratories of the department have been recognized by Gauhati University for carrying out Ph.D. research. 19 scholars have already got Ph.D. degree working in the department and presently, there are 39 registered Ph.D. scholars in this department. Geography department has received the financial assistance from the DST, Govt. of India under its ‘Fund for Infrastructure Development in Science & Technology in Universities & Higher Educational Institutions (FIST)’ programme. The department has also been receiving fund from the UGC since 2008-09 under the scheme ‘Basic Scientific Research (BSR)’.