Year of establishment : 1959
Location : 1st Floor, KBR Hall
E mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : www.cottoncollegegeology.org
Geology department of Cotton College was established in the year 1959 as an Undergraduate Department under Gauhati University. Prof. Hare Krishna Gayan was the founder Head of the Department. Initially the department was opened in a small outhouse belonging to Zoology department, Cotton College. It was later shifted to the present Anthropology department of Cotton College for a short period and was finally shifted to the first floor of the Union Hall (now called Kalaguru Bishnuprasad Rabha Prekhhagriha) where it now occupies almost the entire building except the auditorium. At the initial stage, only B.Sc. (General) course was offered by this department. In the year 1963, B.Sc. (Honours) [now called ‘Major’] course was introduced in this department while the department attained the Post-Graduate status in 1986 under Gauhati University. Geology department has received the financial assistance from the DST, Govt. of India under its ‘Fund for Infrastructure Development in Science & Technology in Universities & Higher Educational Institutions (FIST)’ programme. The department has also been receiving fund from the UGC since 2009-10 under the scheme ‘Basic Scientific Research (BSR)'. The laboratories of the department has been recognized by Gauhati University for carrying out Ph.D. research.