Year of establishment : 1901
Location : 1st Floor, Manik Chandra Barooah Administrative Building
E mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department of Mathematics was started in Cotton College from the very inception of the College in the year 1901. Prof. Indu Bhusan Brahmachary, an eminent scholar was the founder Head of this Department. Initially, the subject was taught in the Intermediate level and in the year 1910, Calcutta University accorded affiliation to the department to teach Mathematics at Degree level. From the session 1913-14, Honours (now called ‘Major’) Course in Mathematics was introduced under Calcutta University. The Post-Graduate Course in this department under Gauhati University was started in 1974. Mathematics department has received the financial assistance from the DST, Govt. of India under its ‘Fund for Infrastructure Development in Science & Technology in Universities & Higher Educational Institutions (FIST)’ programme. The department has also been receiving fund from the UGC since 2008-09 under the scheme ‘Basic Scientific Research (BSR)’.