Year of establishment : 1901
Location : Physics Department Complex (Lat: 26o11'14"N, Long:91o44'39"E, Alti: 17.1m)
Phone & Fax : +91-361-2540715
E mail : cotton_ firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department of Physics, Cotton College was one of the few departments with which Cotton College started its epic journey in 1901. Also, one of the first five founder teachers of Cotton College, Prof. Chunilal De belonged to this department. Physics classes during the initial years were held in the Assam type building which presently houses the Chemistry department of the College. In the year 1909, the department was shifted to Bhuban Ram Das Bhawan (formerly Old Curzon Hall). In 1958, Physics department was shifted to its present building. It was the first department in Cotton College where Post Graduate course was introduced under Gauhati University in 1969. The department of physics is the pioneer in the field of research in this part of the country. Stalwarts like Dr H.C. Bhuyan, Dr S.M. Mali, Dr P. Shyam, Dr G.C. Deka, Dr K.D. Krori - all carried out their research works in this department. Dr K.M. Pathak, former Vice-Chancellor of Tezpur University was a scholar of the department and who later became the first recipient of the Ph. D. degree from Gauhati University. Physics department has received financial assistance from the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India under its “Fund for Infrastructure Development in Science & Technology (FIST) programme”. The department has been receiving fund from the UGC also under the scheme ‘Basic Scientific Research (BSR)’.