Krishna Kanta Handique Post Graduate Boys’ Hostel
Year of establishment : 1901
History : Krishna Kanta Handique (KKH) PG Boys’ Hostel, which was established in the year 1901 is the oldest boys’ hostel of Cotton College. Initially known as the ‘Hindu Hostel’, this more than a century old hostel later became well known as the ‘Hindu First Mess’ or First Block’ or simply the ‘First Mess’. Prof. Indu Bhusan Brahmachary of Mathematics Department was its first Superintendent. Since 1983, this hostel has been reserved for the Post Graduate boy students. In the year 1986, this historic hostel was renamed as ‘Krishna Kanta Handique PG Boys’ Hostel’ after the world famous Sanskrit Scholar and Indologist, and the first Vice-Chancellor of Gauhati University Panditpravar Krishna Kanta Handique, who was also a boarder of this hostel during 1913-14. This Assam-type hostel is situated in a campus that occupies more than 4 bighas of land. In the year 2002, KKH PG Boys’ Hostel celebrated its Centenary with a year long programme. Many renowned personalities in various fields of life from Assam in particular and NE India in general were once boarders of this hostel.
Seat Capacity : 75 (in 22 rooms)Facilities : The hostel has a spacious ground to play various outdoor games. Facilities for indoor games like table tennis, chess, carom etc. are also available. It has got a separate library with about 1200 books and several English and Assamese daily newspapers are regularly subscribed. Occasionally, some magazines are also subscribed.
Present Hostel Superintendent :
Activities : Every year, Saraswati Puja is performed with pomp and grandeur in this hostel. Hostel picnic is also an annual activity, which is arranged during the winter in each and every year. A souvenir named ‘Smriti Lekha’, published on the occasion of the Centenary celebration of the hostel was released on 11th August, 2002. The boarders of KKH PG Boys’ Hostel bring out annually their bilingual (Assamese & English) wall magazine entitled ‘Dewalar Swar’.